RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — A man was wounded in what was initially reported as a shooting near downtown Raleigh on Friday night.
According to police, a stolen gun found in a man’s pants accidentally fired during a struggle with officers. He suffered a minor injury, but no officers were hurt.
Police say they were trying to remove the man from a parked car in the 1200 block of South East Street when the gun fired.
Officers were patrolling the area when they encountered several people sitting in the parked vehicle.
Investigators say they noticed illegal narcotics while speaking to one of the passengers, which led to the struggle and gun firing.
Police say the officers did not return fire.
The injured passenger was taken to the hospital for treatment and released.
Two people were arrested, including Tahji Eley. The 28-year-old is charged with resisting a police officer, discharging a firearm, possession of a stolen firearm. He also faces multiple drug charges.
Brian Massenburg was arrested on drug charges.
The incident remains under investigation.
- More “non-essential” businesses close
- Allstate Insurance giving partial refunds of premiums for April and May
- Conway city leaders take precautions in the fight against the coronavirus
- SC DEW says quarantine does not qualify for unemployment
- Survey: People working from home are neglecting personal hygiene