NC family says animal shelter mistakenly euthanized its dog

State - Regional

LEXINGTON, N.C. (AP) – Members of a family say they are hurt after a North Carolina animal shelter mistakenly euthanized their dog in a paperwork mix-up.

The Winston-Salem Journal reports the dog was a 16-month-old Australian cattle dog named Blaze. The dog’s owner, Joey Varker, posted on social media that Blaze had been sent to the shelter to be quarantined after biting a child in the family. Varker said his wife went to pick Blaze up but was shown a different dog.

Assistant County Manager Casey Smith says the error was due to a mistake in the intake paperwork. Smith says 10 dogs entered the shelter Saturday for bites, and Blaze was mistaken for a different dog to be put down.

Smith says this was the first time the shelter has made this error.

(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Dowloand Our News Apps

FREE News & Weather Apps

Get the StormTracker13 Weather App

Download Now:

Get the News13 News App

Download Now: