NC Gov. Roy Cooper directs $25 million to fund repairs to public schools damaged by Florence

State - Regional
Lumberton NC_1536968441150.jpg.jpg

Governor Roy Cooper directed $25 million from the North Carolina Education Lottery Fund to speed up repairs to K-12 public schools damaged by Hurricane Florence on Tuesday, according to a press release from the Office of the Governor Roy Cooper. 

“Students need to get back to learning and educators need to get back to teaching, but many school districts can’t afford the repairs schools need,” Gov. Cooper said in the release. “The lives of thousands of students, teachers and families are on hold and they need our help to recover.”

“While many schools have reopened since Hurricane Florence struck last month, seven North Carolina school systems remain closed, keeping more than 130 schools out of operation and nearly 90,000 students out of class,” the release states. “Several affected school districts have depleted most of their contingency funds and need immediate financial assistance to repair roofs, flooring and electrical wiring, eradicate mold and mildew and replace furniture to get schools reopened.”

Emergency funds will be administered by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction, according to the release. Priority will be given to district and charter schools in Brunswick, Craven, Duplin, Jones, New Hanover, Onslow, Pender, and Robeson counties that “have immediate repair needs and are not currently in operation.”

“Some of the repairs should be reimbursable by federal disaster recovery funds” the release also says. “Transferring the money now gives schools quicker help and allows them to retain contractors to speed repairs.”

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending stories