SPARTANBURG, SC (WSPA) – National Weather Service officials confirmed Friday that a tornado did touch down in Spartanburg Thursday morning.
“It’s pretty clear that this was a tornado,” Steve Wilkinson with the NWS said.
Wilkinson said the track from west of Interstate 26 across the mall area to the Crown Pointe Apartment complex indicated that it was a tornado path.
“We look for focused, intense damage and that’s what we have here at this apartment complex,” Wilkinson said.
He said they have yet to determine the strength of the tornado and said they would be continuing to travel along its path.
- News13’s partnership with Harvest Hope Food Bank in efforts to raise money for Coronavirus Relief Fund
- St. James Alum, Smith Knaffle inspired by golf greats
- How coronavirus spread through a birthday and a funeral in Chicago
- Logan’s Roadhouse temporarily closes all locations, terminates employees
- Cassill, Preece win at Myrtle Beach Speedway in NASCAR E-Series