FORT BRAGG, N.C. (WNCN) — An 82nd Airborne Division Paratrooper died on Tuesday on Fort Bragg.
The cause of death is currently under investigation.
Private Second Class Caleb Smither, 19, of Lubbock, Texas, was a construction equipment repairer assigned to 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division.
“Private Second Class Smither was an invaluable member of the Falcon Brigade and 82nd Airborne Division,” said Col. Jason Curl, commander 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division. “His passing is a devastating loss for everyone. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends, and fellow Paratroopers. We are with them during this difficult time.”
Smither entered the Army in May of 2019 and arrived at Fort Bragg in December 2019.
Smither’s awards and decorations include the National Defense Service Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, the Army Service Ribbon, and the Army Parachutist Badge.
- Living Local Carolina: New Dessert Shop Chocobella Offers Fine Belgian Chocolates And Gelato In Downtown Florence
- Second dose of COVID-19 vaccine can cause stronger symptoms, but is crucial to build antibodies
- ‘If it wasn’t my job I would have done that for free’: Officer after surviving Capitol mob assault
- Living Local Carolina: Learn What A Time-Lapse Is And How To Make One With Your Phone
- Living Local Carolina: Making 2021 Vision Boards With Carolina Trust Federal Credit Union And How To Get Back On Track Financially