COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — South Carolina House Speaker Jay Lucas says lawmakers can renegotiate a private Florida power company’s deal to buy state-owned utility Santee Cooper.
Lucas’ op-ed in The Post and Courier of Charleston threw a wrench into weeks of hearings about Santee Cooper’s future.
Senate President Harvey Peeler said his reading of the law indicates lawmakers can’t change the terms of the bids negotiated for months by the state Department of Administration including the $9 billion offer from NextEra Energy.
A special House subcommittee that has studied the sale for weeks rejected all bids Tuesday, agreeing with Lucas to renegotiate.
- Pres. Trump, White House coronavirus task force plan Tuesday briefing
- Athletes already qualified for Tokyo Games get to keep spots
- SC Emergency Management will send out a public alert just before 5 p.m.
- DHEC: 187 new cases of coronavirus in SC, 15 new in Horry Co
- DHEC updates cases by ZIP codes, through Monday, April 6