MYRTLE BEACH (WBTW) — Walmart announced Wednesday it plans to remodel eight stores in South Carolina as part of a $45 million investment that also includes delivery services and grocery pickup along with other enhancements.
Store remodels are slated for the following stores:
- 2751 Beaver Run Blvd., Surfside Beach
- 1310 N Fraser St., Georgetown
- 805 Hwy 9 Bypass West, Lancaster
- 2151 E Main St., Spartanburg
- 3951 W Ashley Circle, Charleston
- 14055 E Wade Hampton Blvd., Greer
- 1180 Dutch Fork Rd., Irmo
- 9 Benton Rd., Travelers Rest
Grocery pickup will be expanded to more than 20 stores by the end of 2019 and grocery delivery will be added to 36 stores.
Walmart also plans to add 20 pickup towers to stores across the state. Pickup towers are 16-feet tall vending machines that can fill a customer’s online order in less than a minute once they arrive at the store. Customers scan a barcode on their smartphone to retrieve purchased items.
The company also will expand its FAST Unloader technology to 27 stores. The FAST Unloader automatically scans and sorts items that come off trucks based on priority and department, allowing associates to spend less time unloading.
And finally, Walmart will start using autonomous floor scrubbers to clean concrete floors in stores.