CHARLOTTE, NC (WSPA) - A new double launch roller coaster is set to open next year at Carowinds theme park just outside Charlotte.
The coaster, named Copperhead Strike, will be part of a new themed area called Blue Ridge Junction which will open in the Spring of 2019.
The roller coaster will include five inversions over 3,255 feet of track.
The double launch coaster is the first of its kind in the Carolinas.
The first launch takes riders from zero to 42 mph in just two and a half seconds. The second launch pushes riders from 35 mph to 50 mph in just two seconds.
The ride lasts 2 minutes and 24 seconds.
Watch a point of view video of the entire ride above.
In addition to the coaster, Blue Ridge Junction will include a new Blue Ridge Country Kitchen restaurant in the former Wings restaurant location.
The park is also planning to open a new on-site hotel, a 130-room SpringHill Suites by Marriott. That hotel will open late 2019.
For more information on the roller coaster, visit www.carowinds.com/CopperheadStrike.
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- New exercise guidelines: Move more, sit less, start younger
- Stan Lee, Spider-Man creator, dies at 95
- Leaders meet in Italy to find settlement in Libya
- Small businesses band together for Small Business Saturday
- National Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.