MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (WBTW)- — The American Red Cross has a new Emergency App, which gives people instant access to weather alerts, life-saving information and ways to contact family and friends in one free, easy-to-use app for mobile devices.
This all-inclusive app provides expert advice on what to do in case of disasters such as hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, tornadoes, home fires, wildfires and more. The free Emergency App is available in app stores for smartphones and tablets by searching for the American Red Cross.
“The app allows you to volunteer your time with the Red Cross, donate to the Red Cross and make a scheduled appointment for a blood drive so this app can do many, many things that people would normally have to go to redcross.org well now they can simply do it on their app,” Disaster Manager Lou Palm said.
“Family Safe” is a new, unique feature that allows the app user to notify loved ones who are in an area affected by an emergency or disaster. The recipient can instantly see the alert details as well as specific “what to do now” steps, and then respond with either “I’m safe” or “I’m not safe.” This feature works even if the recipient has not downloaded the Emergency App.
The local Red Cross Chapter says it’s responded to more than 200 fires and helped more than 900 people this year.
The Emergency App has many features, including:
· Emergency first aid information for situations such as heart attacks and heat-related emergencies, as well as water safety information;
· Preloaded content so users can access guidance from Red Cross experts even without mobile connectivity;
· A single map with open Red Cross shelter locations and weather information;
· A home fire section with detailed prevention and safety tips as well as Red Cross “After the Fire” information;
· A “Make a Plan” feature to help families plan what to do and where to go if a disaster strikes; and
· The ability to easily toggle between English and Spanish.
In addition to smartphones and tablets, this feature will be available on the new Apple Watch and can be downloaded from the Apple Watch App Store starting April 24.