MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WBTW) – UPDATE: Charges against Doyle and have been dropped.
Police are investigating an armed robbery that happened off Highway 501 Thursday night that started as a Tinder date.
According to Horry County police, the victim met Kevin James Doyle on Tinder and planned to meet at Magoo’s Sports & Spirits on Waccamaw Boulevard. When the two met at the bar, Doyle is believed to have robbed the victim at knifepoint. He then left the bar in a car driven by another person.
Police apprehended one suspect at the Vinings at Market Common around midnight.
At that time, a second suspect was believed to be in an apartment unit in the area. No contact was made until Horry County Special Ops got on the scene. Police were able to contact that person and the suspect came out.
A third person was present at the scene, but is not a suspect and was not arrested.
Both suspects are detained at this time. This case is being turned over to the Horry County Criminal Investigations.
Doyle is charged with armed robbery. Colin Stuart Turnnidge III was also arrested in the case and is charged with accessory after the fact to a felony.
Horry County police offer these tips when you are meeting someone for the first time.
- Think before you share personal information, such as a phone number or address.
- Do your research – check out the person’s social media presence on more than one platform and see if the details match.
- Meet in a well-populated, highly-visible place during daylight hours.
- Bring someone with you, or tell someone where you’ll be and who you’re meeting.
- Drive yourself to and from your date to maintain control over when and how you get home.
- Stay sober – don’t impair your judgment on an initial meet-up.